October 15, 2012

Cocoon Boutique Hotel: Green is In

They say that people change for two reasons – either they learn enough that they want to or they’ve been hurt enough that they have to. True but well, not all the time. Sometimes, people just need a change of place, just to be whole or feel recharged again.

While cocoon is the transitory place for all caterpillars before they transform and fly out to the world as beautiful butterflies, the modern Cocoon in Quezon City has somewhat the same effect to rejuvenate tired and weary souls due to the stressful hustle and bustle of the city.

Cocoon which is owned by lawyer-accountant-hotelier couple Rafael and Gigi Vinzon, is the first green luxury boutique hotel in the country. The hotel is the by-product of their retirement funds and perhaps their love to have a second home (inspired from the various concepts of boutique hotels they have stayed overseas, particularly Europe) they can share with the public. It is also their socially-relevant contribution (by being green) to the society. Perhaps you would agree with me if I say the couple is sort of the Lorax in the hotel world.


The hotel’s lobby is an artwork of simple grandeur from the (I thought) Balinese-style wood wall which are actually framed antique wheels of carabao-drawn carriages, comfy lounge chairs and couches, centerpiece Murano chandelier to the original 1800 Steinway Grand piano, which I’m pretty sure would give justice to my favorite piece “Leaves on the Seine”. Hotel staffs at the lobby were warm, friendly and graciously greet me by my first name.




The moment I stepped into my room, I found a safe sanctuary, really a cocoon. Getting out of my banig, and snuggling for a night between fresh and crisp 400 thread-count Egyptian cotton bed linens with pocket springs and memory foam, and soft Goose down duvets was such a welcome respite from my everyday boring slumber life. Soaking myself in lukewarm water and taking a cold water rain shower after soothed my tired muscles. It was indeed a refreshing bath experience.



Dining at the roof deck was another wonderful experience. The control buffet breakfast was healthy and unassuming. They have limited but good food selection - from their freshly-baked muffins, porridge, cereals, fresh fruits and drinks to less than 10 breakfast set meals, which you could choose from. I settled for a hearty American breakfast. But what really captured my heart, I mean my palate was the sobrang sarap na ensaymada… well I munched about four. 






Beside the al-fresco dining area is the pool which added coolness to the place. The roof deck is perfect not only for intimate and small gathering, but also for sunset or sunrise watching.



Almost all the hotel amenities, decors and structures which provide ultimate comfort for the guests, were infused with sustainability - from the rainwater harvesting for toilet flushing, water-saving faucets, LED lighting and TV sets, inverter-type air-conditioners, dual-pipe system to thermoelectric refrigerator. Interestingly, the hotel has a no-smoking policy. Anyone caught smoking will be fined P5,000. I wonder kung may mga nahuli na hehe.

The next time you want to relax, unwind, and metamorphose internally, without leaving the city or travelling too far, why not spend a night at this eco-friendly, chic hotel. True to their words, the hotel is a nesting place, where luxury is responsible. I promise, you would embrace the new you coming from the Cocoon.

Cocoon Boutique Hotel
61 Scout Tobias cor. Scout Rallos Sts.
Bgy. Laging Handa, Quezon City
Tel. Nos.: 998-3117, 921-2706 to 08

2 comments:

LASV said...

Nagpunta ka pala dito. Two blocks away from my place. Sana sinabihan mo ako. hehehe.

Try visiting Luxent next time. Happy weekend! :)

Frenz Fries said...

Sure next time mapadaan ako dyan :)