February 24, 2020

Mascap Twin Hike: Mt. Espadang Bato and Mt. Sipit Ulang

I’m scared as hell to want you.
But here I am, wanting you anyway

As a spectator, it looks easy climbing the peak of Espadang Bato, a 55 ft. sharp monolith of Mt. Hapunang Banoi. When it was my turn and I was already near the top, good heavens, I almost backed out. I was scared to death! Maling hakbang, dulas, o isang ihip ng hangin, baka goodbye Earth na ko! It was an adventure I never imagined I would do.


Mountains in this part of Rodriguez, Rizal, particularly in Mascap, are actually minor hikes; but they are exciting because of the incredible rock formations, some not that easy to scale.

Dahil malapit ko na akyatin ang dream mountain ko (Mt. Apo), I took it upon myself to be physically fit. So one weekend, I decided to do a solo day hike of Mt. Sipit-Ulang in Mascap. Mascap is almost two hours away by van and tricycle from Cubao.
                                                          
I first registered at the barangay hall of Mascap around past 6 am, and paid the fees. I was then assigned a guide, Kuya Jun.


There are two established trails going to Sipit-Ulang. The easier “Banayad trail” and the harder but scenic “Paniki trail”. The latter was named because of the bats that dwell inside the caves, which could be found along the trail. I requested Kuya that we do the traverse from Paniki to Banayad trail. At first he did not recommend kasi baka mahirapan daw ako and he wasn’t sure if the bamboo ladders and bridges are in good condition. Pero mapilit lang talaga ako hehe.










Paniki trail is gradually ascending, very easy to navigate and dotted with rock and lime formations. True enough, yung bridge and ladder medyo not in good shape na and really need repair. It was a very easy climb. In my opinion, wala na nga dapat syang difficulty level because it was like a walk in the park. In less than two hours, we already reached the summit – a beautiful rock formation resembling that of a crab’s claw. That’s why it was named Sipit Ulang. It was also not difficult climbing the rock formation as there are wooden ladders. The view from the summit include the mountains of Hapunang Banoi, Ayaas, Pamitinan, and Binacayan, as well as Metro Manila cityscape.









After staying for less than an hour, my guide suggested that we continue to Espadang Bato. He said that it is just nearby, and more popular to hikers. He was pretty convincing at since hindi pa ako pagod, I said yes. 

The trail to Espadang Bato is longer and steeper (with more rocks along the way) compared to Sipit Ulang. We had brief stop-overs to eat and catch my breath. The view also gets better as the trail gets higher.










We reached the peak by almost noon time, after two hours of leisurely hike. And truly, the place is swarming with hikers. Blockbuster ang pila ng photo-op sa Espadang Bato. There were around 80 na nakapila. May mga nag-away away na nga, because by group ang queuing, and hindi first come first serve.  E second to the last na ako dumating, so I expected na maabutan na ako ng hapon.  

While waiting, I decided na tumambay dun sa guide/photographer rock where they snap the photo ng mga umaakyat. It was a very fun experience, kasi kitang kita ko ang takot ng mga tao pag-akyat pa lang, and their agony para makatayo sa Espadang Bato. Actually, sa mga umakyat mas matatapang pa ang mga babae. Nakakatuwa rin yung mga hikers na umakyat lang talaga for photo shoot “Ate sige lang, picture lang ng picture.” Sagot naman ni Ate guide “3 shots lang, mahaba ang pila.”

Since medyo matagal-tagal pa ang turn ko, inakyat ko na lang ang ibang rock formations within the area, pati ang viewing deck.










After three hours, people dissipated, and it was already my turn to climb the iconic rock.

At the back of the rock, is a metal ladder going to the summit. Nakakatakot, nakakalula, paakyat pa lang. For the long time, ngayon lang ata kinabahan at pinagpawisan ng sobra. Previously, nung wala pang na-install na ladder, it was quite hard to scramble going to the pinnacle. May guide naman na umaalalay, so nakakapawi rin ng nerbyos. When I reached the top, I gathered enough courage para makaupo ako sa bato. Haha hindi ako makatayo. Buti na lang talaga wala ng tao, kasi mas nakakahiya kung madaming spectators. I took a deep breath. A very, very deep breath and exhaled by shouting. Bahala na basta tatayo ako!




In life, I’ve learned that fears and doubts are the twin killers of our dreams. But on this bright sunny day, I will smash them.

From Cubao, take van or jeepney bound for Rodriguez, Rizal. Get off at Total Gas Station near Eastwood Subd. Take a tricycle going to Brgy. Mascap. Then pay the registration and guide fees at the barangay hall. The two mountains can be day-hiked.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there I am so thrilled I found your blog page, I really found you
by error, while I was researching on Digg for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a remarkable post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design),
I don’t have time to read through it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will
be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?

A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really
make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your design. With thanks