December 10, 2019

Casa Simeon, Bacacay, Albay

The Mayon Volcano in Bicol is best viewed from Cagsawa, Daraga, or Lignon Hill in Legazpi. It look stunning from any angle, even from Bacacay, a sleepy coastal town less than an hour away from Albay’s city center.

From the veranda of Casa Simeon, sitting on a tumba-tumba, I get to enjoy the view of Mayon.


Casa Simeon has been a landmark in Bacacay for generations. A Spanish-style family residence, it was built in the 1920s (a century ago) by the late Simeon and Beatrice Alparce, a prominent family in Bicol Region. The colonial home was recently converted into a well-appointed boutique hotel featuring modern conveniences blending well with traditional materials. It is now managed by the descendants of Alparce family.

I was actually supposed to visit the neighboring island province in Bicolandia but a gale warning suspending all small boat operations, forced me to look for other alternative places to visit within the mainland. Well, I’m glad I remembered this historic house and that’s how I ended up in Bacacay.


Despite being located at the very center of town and just a stone’s throw away from the public market, the Casa still feels like a world on its own. When I stepped in, it felt like I was transported many years back up until the galleon trade era. The impressive architecture smoothly intertwines the classic and the modern.





Art works of pastoral Filipino life and the Alparce family, adorning walls and corridors, added more charm and appeal.  





Rooms look rustic, spacious and sparkling-clean. They are equipped with modern conveniences and hotel-grade amenities - comfortable large beds, air-conditioning, LCD TV and nice bathroom facilities. Most likely, guests would end up staycationing rather than exploring other points of interests within the vicinity. 




My favorite part of the house though is the library and mini-museum on the ground floor. I love the array of books and heirloom pieces impressively preserved by the family.









On the second floor is Cucina Beatrice, a restaurant serving delectable Bicolano and fusion cuisine.







Their menu is inspired from family heirloom recipes passed from generation to generation. I love their grilled sandwich, Bicol express pasta and pandan chicken. Even their desserts - churros and leche flan - are faultless to cap off the meal. Their Service is also A+ with all their staff very kind and welcoming.






The restaurant leads to a veranda with a beautiful view of Mayon – a perfect spot for siesta or magpatunaw after a hearty and satisfying meal.



The Casa also has an expansive garden, where guests (and their pets) could roam around and play.




A few minute walk away from the Casa is the Bacacay port – a nice place for strolling especially during dusk or sunset. I love the simple life of the locals, who look happy and contented just watching the glorious ending of the day.




  
Staying at the Casa made me feel nostalgic. Time is swiftly passing like a hand waving from a ship I wanted to be on.

From Manila, take a bus (or plane) to Legazpi City. In Legazpi, ride a bus or van going to Bacacay. Tell the driver to drop you off at Casa Simeon.

Casa Simeon
#1 Bes St., Brgy. 13
Poblacion, Bacacay, Albay
Tel. nos.: 0915-9826135, 0917-5063554

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I blog quite often and I seriously thank you for your content.
This great article has really peaked my interest.
I will bookmark your site and keep checking for new details about once a week.
I subscribed to your Feed as well.

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most important info for me.
And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The site style is ideal, the articles is really nice : D.
Good job, cheers