February 29, 2016

Pannzian Beach and Mountain Resort

Life is too short not to appreciate. Even if there are problems that come our way, there’s always someone or some place that makes living bearable. Like Pannzian.



Whenever Ilocos pops up in our conversation, Tita M would always tell me to visit Pannzian in Pagudpud. She said that I would definitely fall in love with its scenic beach and lush mountainous surroundings. So my curiosity got the better of me, and found myself one fine day riding a van from Laoag bound for Claveria. After two and a half hours, I arrived on the doorstep of Pannzian, which is just a stone’s throw away from my most favorite bridge, the Patapat Viaduct.

And I was happy to discover such simple yet breathtaking piece of paradise, which almost feels like home. I was suddenly inspired. It would be no wonder if tomorrow I start loving Mondays.


Anyway, Pannzian is a wordplay of Pancian, the coastal barangay where the resort is located. So far, it is one of the few great alternatives for those who want to get away from the madding tourist crowd in the white-sand beaches of Pagudpud. The sprawling area surrounding the resort has been family owned for more than two centuries, until it eventually became a private getaway for their beloved guests who want a place of peace and serenity.

Strongly committed with the concept of digital detox, Pannzian promotes digital technology-free getaway, giving guests more time to pause, reflect, interact socially with people and dogs, and reconnect with nature. There’s no TV or wi-fi in every room, and cellphone signal within the vicinity is almost non-existent. There’s a board by the registration area that prominently says “We encourage you to go out and play.”



But before I played, Ate was gracious enough to show me their rooms after welcoming me with a lei of red hibiscus. There are four distinct type of accommodation in Pannzian – Duplex and Cottages, Kayo Rooms and Lodging Rooms - good for couple, family, and barkada. Room amenities may not be high-end but they are good enough to keep everybody comfortable with their soft beds, air-condition, private bathroom and hot shower. Some rooms are overlooking the camp ground and the beach.







But I what I really found fascinating was the shower tree - an outdoor shower built around an old, sturdy tree.



To maintain the tranquility of the place, rowdiness is discouraged. Anyway, anyone could just pick up a David Baldacci or Daniele Steel from their bookshelf and read leisurely while relaxing on the hammock.




Dining is another wonderful experience in Pannzian. The food isn’t only beautifully plated with fresh flowers, but tastes delicious. The fresh fruit drinks are also refreshing.







The flora and fauna around the resort are also delightful. They have friendly dogs that kept me company while I stroll along the beach.





When people stop doing things for fun, they might as well be dead. It’s great that there are plenty of fun activities to do within and nearby the resort – swimming, bonfire, beach volleyball, river trekking, sunrise-watching.









There are a number of battles ahead. But by just watching the vastness of the shore, listening to the soothing waves of the disputed West Philippine Sea, and breathing in the fresh air from the mountains, give me a sense of tranquility and freedom. Such basic and unadorned beauty of life is more than enough to make me smile. And somehow reminds me that one day, all of these will just be memories, and I’ll be just fine.

Pannzian Beach and Mountain Resort
Brgy. Pancian, Pagudpud , Ilocos Norte
Tel. No.: 646-9020, 0920-9520662

No comments: