September 23, 2019

1919 Grand Café, Binondo

There are around nine heritage buildings in Escolta, the old downtown district of Binondo, Manila, that must be continuously preserved, even showcased. One of which is the old HSBC Building. Designed in the neoclassical revival style of its era by Architect G.H. Hayward, the five-storey concrete-encased steel structure began construction under the supervision of contractor Oscar F. Campbell in 1919. It was opened in 1922, becoming the main office of the HSBC. It also housed the British Consulate from 1946 to the 1960s. But eventually, HSBC abandoned the building. For many years, it was in a state of neglect, almost forgotten until it reopened in 2018 as 1919 Grand Café.












Brewed coffee

Herb chicken parmesan

Fried pork ribs adobo glaze

Seafood pasta

4 kinds of cheese pizza

Caramel cake











The interiors of the café was exquisitely restored - from the building’s original Corinthian columns and intricate window grills to the British royal coat of arms restaurant logo. The furniture, decorations, lighting fixtures, are a mix of modern and archaic. And while waiting for the appetizing 4 cheese pizza and comfort food, it’s nice to roam around (or walk down memory lane) and admire the photos of old Manila. They reminded me how nostalgically beautiful the city used to be, even the waters of Pasig River were so clean and blue.

1919 Grand Café
#117 Juan Luna St.
Binondo, Manila

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

bookmarked!!, I really like your site!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thhought about writing an e-book or guest authoring on other websites?
I have a blog centered on the sazme subjects you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I kbow my
visitors would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free too shoot me an e-mail.

Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
I don't know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This post posted at this
site is actually pleasant.

Anonymous said...

I am sure this post has touched all the internet users, its really really good article on building up new
weblog.